I do not control which ads are displayed by Google Ads nor do I endorse the products advertised. Ads claiming diabetes is curable or reversible should be ignored.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wine and Serendipity

I added a PS to my entry on Red, Red Wine today. Sometimes things have totally unforeseen side benefits:-)

I also have CLL, a type of leukemia. Nothing to do with diabetes. But, after I made the changes I mention in this blog, something odd happened. Purely serendipity according to my haemotologists, and maybe it will change tomorrow and Damocles Sword will drop. My CLL numbers improved as my diet and fitness changed and as my diabetes numbers improved.

I became aware of this report today: http://www.physorg.com/news96550822.html
“Antioxidant found in many foods and red wine is potent and selective killer of leukemia cells
A naturally occurring compound found in many fruits and vegetables as well as red wine, selectively kills leukemia cells in culture while showing no discernible toxicity against healthy cells, according to a study by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.”
I believe that this is the original study:
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/M610616200v2
CYANIDIN-3-RUTINOSIDE, A NATURAL POLYPHENOL ANTIOXIDANT, SELECTIVELY KILLS LEUKEMIC CELLS BY INDUCTION OF OXIDATIVE STRESS
“These results indicate that cyanidin-3-rutinoside have the promising potential to be used in leukemia therapy with the advantages of being wildly available and being selective against tumors.”

Not just wine, also vegetables. Just serendipity - but the haemotologists tell me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Cheers, Alan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you increased your green veggies? The vitamin K might also help.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-107835437.html
"Phylloquinone has been found to exhibit anticancer activity in a number of cell lines (liver, colon, lung, stomach, nasopharynx, breast, oral epidermoid cancer, and leukemia)"

Vitimin K2 is in fermented foods like hard cheeses and salt cured olives also might help.

Alan said...

I can't comment on the accuracy of the Vit K comment; I've allowed it for those that wish to investigate further.

Matthew Ellison said...

Alan, I too have CLL, diagnosed 1999, and gradually noticed increasing glocose leading to a diabetes diagnosis in 2015. Everyone swears up and down there's no connection, although a CLL doctor at MD Anderson has articles out there that suggest maybe there is a link. I have been gradually changing my diet and excerise as you have, and yet have seen no change. In either diabetes or CLL. Just curious your perspective on this?

Alan said...

Hello Matthew. I'm sorry to see you have CLL, but glad to see you are still here 18 years post-dx. Did we ever meet on the CLL list (Granny lackritz) or CLL forums?

I hope you don't mind some questions. What is your A1c and what changes have you been making to your diet? Have you been guiding those changes with peak post-meal testing?